Friday, June 24, 2011

Real World: NYC

Workin 9-5, what a way to make a livin'...

I have a big-girl job this week. I feel like such an adult!

Well, actually right now I'm working 9AM to 6PM, and I eat lunch by the phones. Three days ago, I would have told you that while I was thankful for the opportunity, being a receptionist is the most miserable job in the world.

Today, I admit that a job is simply what you make of it.

For the past week, I have been the temporary receptionist for the company formerly known as LA Digital Post. (currently Butterfields, or Epic Post, or LA Digital, or [as I say when answering the phones] 'New York Post Facilities']). The company is in a transition period in many ways.

From what I can tell, there's been some type of merger, but that's not really a big deal. The big deal is that they just moved into an office building in the West Village a week before I got here. It's definitely been amusing to watch people scurry around, frantically digging through boxes to find office supplies or other essentials. At least, that's the way things were going at the beginning of the week. Today is Friday and most of the edit rooms are up and running, the boxes have been mostly unpacked, the kitchens are beautiful (and well stocked), the walls have been painted, and the windows have been cleaned and tinted.

My responsibilities include mainly answering/transferring the phones, cleaning/stocking the kitchen, signing for mail and packages, washing dishes when clients just leave them in the sink, copying, scanning, faxing, and Fedex-ing various document, ordering bagels on Friday, and ordering meals for clients other days during the week. It was a little overwhelming at the beginning, but I've settled into the routine quite nicely.

Because the headset isn't hooked up yet, I've been generally confined to the front desk. I thought I was going to go crazy on Monday! Since then, I've discovered all kinds of productive things to do on the computer. I've been catching up on all of the "happenings" in the industry on various Broadway and entertainment websites, sending out tons of headshots and resumes, noting interesting places and events to explore around the city, and of course, checking email, facebook, and twitter. My nook has also proven rather handy. I'm on page 290+ of Pride and Prejudice.

That's the boring part, for those of you who have been asking about my job. Here's the fun stuff:

The walls are turquoise and gold. There a green trees and other plants, and there are posters currently being put up on the finished walls. There's a painting crew touching up as I type. :)

Every morning I transfer to the 1 train, get off at Christopher Street, and explore a little bit of the infamous West Village. I've been trying to walk a different way each day to make the most of the few minutes I have out of the office. There seem to be a million little boutiques and restaurants around here, and even more apartments. Most of the buildings only go up to about 5 floors until you get down to Morton, then the high-rises start again.

Apparently, this week is Gay Pride Week in NYC, and the West Village is all a-flutter with rainbow flags and signs promoting specials at restaurants. Needless to say, it's a pretty colorful area.

I thought this area was generally nice: cute and quaint with small walk-ups lining most of the streets. That was, until I was told that many of those walk-ups are single-family homes! HOLY MOLY!! They're gorgeous!! And apparently ridiculously expensive.

I love the people I work with. I'm not exactly sure who my "boss" is. From what I can tell, there are three, maybe four, "bosses" in charge of the company, and then a "boss" for each group of clients. It doesn't really matter - they're all wonderful! We all eat lunch in the lounge (with the phone sitting next to me) and laugh and chat. They wear jeans! It's fantastic! I've gone back and forth between jeans and dresses, but it's nice to not have to worry about looking completely "corporate professional" every day.

We had preliminary "fire-safety" day a few days ago. At lunch, Jim (one of the bosses) came in and announced that we had to have elections for each EAP position that the building required for our floor. Basically, individuals had to be bribed with various goodies to accept a role in each Emergency Action Plan. By the end of the day, Jim and Kristin were wearing red EAP Warden and Deputy Warden baseball caps, Kevin - one of the techs- had on a school crossing-guard vest, and Julie- another tech- got to carry around the First Aid Kit for the whole afternoon. It was hysterical! I almost wish I could be here for the fire drill.

Our main in-house client at the Morton Street studio is MTV's 10 on Top. I think I'm allowed to tell you that. Either way, it's fun to walk past the edit rooms and peek in on everyone cutting and splicing and fixing celebrities and music videos. While it's not exactly my field of study, it's definitely been fun to observe and work in an "industry job".

I'm realizing today, because it's my last day, how much I'm actually going to miss this place. Kristin, one of the "bosses" told me yesterday, "I can't believe you're leaving after tomorrow. You just fit in so well here. It's like you're actually one of us. We're going to miss you." That made me feel wonderful! This is definitely a great crew of people, so if you ever find yourself in need of some editing space or tech help, I absolutely recommend Epic Post New York (or Butterfields, LA Digital Post, Post Facilities New York, etc). They'll take care of you.

Grace be with you,
Lindsey Shea

No comments:

Post a Comment