Saturday, June 11, 2011

It's a Small World After All!

Every year, NYC hosts a Mississippi Picnic in Central Park. Mississippians who have relocated to New York and surrounding areas, Mississippi residents who want to spread MS hospitality and recruit/raise awareness, and New Yorkers who stumble across the blues music and smell of catfish all meet together to celebrate everything the Hospitality State has to offer. This year the theme was a celebration of 100 years of Tennessee Williams and other MS artists.

First, there was Blues music. Then there were plates of catfish, hushpuppies, french fries, and watermelon slices. Then, I noticed the free McAlister's sweet tea and brownies... SCORE! After visiting the local artist and author tents, and picking up a box of free cheese straws (SCORE AGAIN!), I stopped by the booths for the Universities. It was so fun to tell the representatives at Mississippi College's table about where my parents met and chat with the Mississippi State alumni about my the future bulldog in my family. I also met a sweet family whose son is going to be an Engineering major at State next year. He was adorable. I hope he meets my sister ; ) ... just kidding... kind of.

After listening to Haley Barbour welcome the crowd and thanking everyone for coming (despite the dreary weather), I started to walk back to my apartment, thinking that I had done and seen everything. All of a sudden, I heard my name!

Now I want you to understand, hearing someone call out your name in New York City is very rare and almost strange. Hearing someone call out your name and turn to find out they are really talking to you is incredibly bizarre! I turned to find an Ole Miss southern belle smiling at me. It took me a minute to process the whole situation, but I soon recognized the face as an old friend from my days competing in the Mississippi's Junior Miss Scholarship Program! Marianna and I had gotten to know each other pretty well during our week in Meridian back in high school, and we both had made Top 10 at the state level. We've kept in touch sporadically over the years through facebook, but I never really expected to see her again. We chatted for the longest time, just catching up and talking about summer plans. She's working on an internship in DC and their whole crew just decided to come up to NYC for the picnic! I told her about my summer plans (or what little I know- I'm still basically playing everything by ear). Turns out she wants to live in the city in the future, and I may have just found myself a Phi Mu roommate. (Did I mention we're sorority sisters? Because we are!)

Not long after, I bumped into a fellow Coastie, Emily. We both looked at each other with the "wait, don't I know you?" expression. It was a little while before we placed our mutual coastal connections, but then the laughter of recognition and old stories ensued. I absolutely couldn't believe I was hanging out with people I had known from back home and meeting all of their other Mississippi friends. It really did feel like a little bit of home in the big city.

After a long afternoon of blues music, lots of laughter, a little networking, sweet tea, and even a "Stella" contest (Thank you Tennessee Williams), I headed back to the apartment, thankful to call Mississippi home and New York a home-away-from-home.

Just goes to show, even in the Big Apple, it's really just a small world we live in.

Grace be with you,
Lindsey Shea

No comments:

Post a Comment