Friday, June 10, 2011

Alone in the world was a little CatDog

My family has never owned cats. I've never spent much time with any felines, really, but the ones with which I have been acquainted have never seemed to like me, and I must admit, I liked them even less.

I now live with two cats...

Kiarra is a black and white cat that weighs much more than she should. Kiarra hates me. She looks at me like she wants to claw my eyes out every time I walk into the room she is in. She avoids me at all costs, and will not let me touch her... I don't try anymore. I didn't like being bitten.

Nermal on the other hand is a very interesting kitty. I think the reason I can tolerate Nermal is because she thinks she is a dog. No kidding. And she acts more like a dog than any cat I've ever observed. Nermal likes being scratched on the belly. Nermal follows me around the apartment, everywhere! She even tries to sneak into my bedroom (she's not allowed, but it's so cute to see her little head poke up under the curtain). She growls at Kiarra when they are sharing food, and she plays fetch.

YES THE CAT PLAYS FETCH!

Well, sort of. Nermal has this awesome little trick where she sits on top of the toilet seat (closed, of course) and will catch a tossed q-tip between her paws, tuck it into her mouth, hop down, and drop it at your feet before climbing back onto the toilet to catch again. It is hysterical... I assure you, a video of this epic trick will be on youtube soon.

My roommate works a lot, and because I'm still looking for a job, I spend a good deal of my time at the apartment (which isn't a lot of time, but still) talking to Nermal. I guess that's one thing about the city I'm still not used to. At home and at school, I always have someone to talk to nearby. Here in New York, people don't really chat as much as they could, so unless I'm at church, at an interview, or catching lunch with a friend, I'm either talking to myself or to the cat. So, today, I thank God for Nermal for keeping me company in the big city. I would thank Him for Kiarra too, but I don't like that cat. Period.

I promise, my next blog will be about New York City, not cats, but I thought you should know about my roommates other than Kellie.

Grace be with you,
Lindsey Shea

No comments:

Post a Comment