Thursday, June 2, 2011

And thus it begins:

Blog 1 was easy... Blog 2...hhhmmm... I'm not even sure what to write. What do you want to know?

I've been in the city for two days and have already decided I never want to leave. It truly feels like I belong here (but then, when you know you're in the will of God, doesn't it usually feel like that?).
My apartment is fabulous. I have an incredible roommate with two cats. Now, we've never had cats because of allergies, so this is all rather new to me. One simply looks at me like I'm in his way all the time. The other follows me everywhere, and I mean everywhere. It may get old after awhile, but for now it's nice to have something to talk to when there's no one else around.

The lack of communication I have during the day is, well, it's weird. That's the only way I can think to describe it. It's not bad. It's not good. It's just new. I don't feel lonely, I just don't have anyone to talk to. Of course, being a true southerner I have started a few conversations at the bus stop, but generally I'm just doing my own thing and so is everyone else.

That being said, the evenings have been full of wonderful chatter. Yesterday evening, after pounding the pavement collecting job applications all morning/afternoon, I had a meeting/audition with the music director at Central Presbyterian about filling in for Shelly (my sublettor) in the choir. As a born-and-raised Southern Baptist, it blew my mind to hear that one could be paid to sing in a church choir; apparently it's pretty common here. After explaining how God had brought me to NYC for the summer, and after singing through a few scales and hymns, I was hired on the spot. At choir practice that evening, I was introduced to a small portion of my new church family. They are just incredible, talented individuals who are passionate about praising the Lord. One of my concerns about the city was finding a community of believers who would keep me accountable and encourage me through fellowship and God's Word. BUT, if I've learned nothing else, I've learned that God provides, and after an evening trip for gelatto with the other ladies in the choir, I quickly realized that God was obviously working in this community and they were ready and willing to pull me in with open arms. They've already even given me job recommendations and imparted a wealth of "city wisdom."

Ooh, city wisdom... that would be a good blog...

Today was rather similar in the fact that the day was fairly silent while the evening was full of laughter and conversations. I took the morning to fill out all of those many applications I had collected, and hit the city after lunch for what I deemed an adventure. I didn't know where I was going, and I didn't care. I hopped on the bus and rode down 2nd Ave until I felt like getting off. The subway is brilliant because it is so fast. The bus is pretty slow, but the advantage of the bus is that you actually get to see the city as you travel along! I ended up stopping at 42nd Street and took a walk down memory lane as I passed the Grand Hyatt,- the hotel where my show choir stayed on my first visit to NYC- the New York Public Library (GV to those who love the lion in the front as much as I do), and Times Square. After a subway ride to Lincoln Center, I decided to get a library card and spend a little bit of time doing research for Pippin at the New York Public Library for Performing Arts, conveniently located next to Julliard.

After my research was complete, I decided to check out the famous performing school. I walked in like I owned the place, and quickly turned around and walked right back out because I didn't have a student ID to get me through the turnstile. I wasn't bothered though, because when I walked out the front door, all of the other tourists looked at me with the excitement that only tourists have when they think they see something they've read about. For all intents and purposes, in that moment, I was not a student from Birmingham, I was leaving one of my summer classes in Rennaisance Play Analysis at The Julliard School. (Don't judge... I'm an actor... It's what we do) It was fun for about three seconds. Then I heard some kid on his cell phone yelling about needing his music equipment and needing it NOW, and I was so thankful for all of the nice people at Montevallo.

I had full intentions of moving on to Central Park to sit and read my Nook and enjoy the beautiful weather, but being the newbie that I am, I got completely turned around and just decided to get on another bus until I either saw Central Park, or ended up somewhere else that seemed interesting enough to explore. Fortunately I didn't have to wait long for a plan. Kathryn wanted me to meet her at the Apple store on 58th and 5th. I was already on one of the 60's and it didn't take long to figure out which way to go to find 5th. And then SURPRISE! There was Central Park as well. The night ended with sushi on the Upper West Side with another Samford graduate and a bus ride back "home."

Eventually I will know how to navigate the busses as well as I pretend to navigate the subways. I think learning Avenue names will be helpful, but I've got three months to figure it all out. The only even slightly negative thing I can think to report is the weather. I must have brought the heat and humidity with me on the plane because it was scorching and sticky when I first arrived on Tuesday. I probably wouldn't have minded so much if we had air conditioning in the apartment... The landlord is supposed to install that soon. Fortunately, though, today it was much cooler and pretty breezy.

Tomorrow I have an interview for a job and a Temp Agency, so if you think about it, please pray for me. I'm sure there are many adventures to come, so after a much longer blog than I intended, I am calling it a day.

Grace be with you,
Lindsey Shea

3 comments:

  1. Reading your blog is like being there with you, Lindsey! I'm so proud of you....keep posting!
    Love you! Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just marvelous darling, just maaaarvelous! Loving it! And living vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!! BTW...I may be coming up there in about two months, and may need a crashing place. Think it's possible? For like two days?

    ReplyDelete