Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Metro Transit Authority

I love the Metro system. Is that weird? By this point I've had plenty of practice on buses and trains, and I feel fairly competent in my navigation skills. Google Maps helps, too. There are random oddities I witness on my commute each day that I thought you might find amusing, and if you don't, well, they amuse me, and on a morning commute, that's important.

I've almost mastered the proper subway stance. Sitting: make yourself as small as possible, trying to touch no-one, with a blank stare into nothingness. Standing: make yourself as small as possible, trying to touch no-one, with a blank stare into nothingness, while shifting your weight to keep balance. I'm still working on the blank stare part. I have this eager curiosity to take in the scenery around me. There are always new faces on the train, each with a story. So far it seems perfectly acceptable to glance, but it is definitely a faux pas to be caught staring. I've discovered that my nook is actually a nice companion on long subway or bus rides, it keeps me interested without offending anyone, and I can peek over or around it to catch glimpses of the people on the bus going up and down, up and down, up and down. :)

There is a shuttle train running from Grand Central Station to Times Square (extremely convenient, always crowded). Last week I noticed said S train had been given a bit of a face-lift. I found myself riding in the midst of a massive Lady Gaga advertisement. This "Gaga-Mobile," if you will, is shrink-wrapped on the outside with Lady Gaga's face, decorated on the inside with promotional posters, and fitted with tiny televisions that loop clips from her most recent music videos. It was a little overwhelming. It was incredibly amusing, and the reactions of the commuters around me were even more hysterical.There were many explicit exclamations that in essence all expressed the same sentiment: "What is this?" Thank you Gaga for adding a little flavor to my commute.

There is almost always some form of musical performance in the large subway stations. People are just trying to make a little money doing what they love to do. If you have your ipod blaring in your ears, you can generally tune them out, but why? Yesterday I had the distinct privilege of hearing "Sweet Home Alabama" performed by a windpipe/bucket drum duet with synthesized accompaniment. I had to suppress the strong urge to yell "Roll Tide, Roll!" It's just a little habit I've developed over the past three years. Don't judge me.

Of course, you always have your break-dancers, your karaoke stars, and your guitar heroes. It's often quite impressive. Then again, often, not. So, while many of you enjoy your xm radio or ipod plug-ins on your way to work, I am serenaded by an endless array of interesting individuals. Be jealous.Well, don't actually, but you are welcome to be amused with me.

Grace be with you,
Lindsey Shea

1 comment:

  1. You should holler "War Eagle" instead! ;) I love reading your entries, I'm living vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete