Thursday, July 28, 2011

Star Power

Asian tourists are my favorite.

If you are of an Asian ethnicity or have friends who are Asian, please don't be offended. I have many Asian friends myself, and I mean no disrespect by stereotyping this particular people group... However, for my purposes here, the best way to explain my amusement is to use broad generalizations.

That's not even the whole point of this blog... That's just the early disclaimer that I'm not prejudiced.

Last night I was determined to see the new musical The Book of Mormon. I was at the lottery by 4:30, and when I didn't win, waited an hour in the Standing Room Only line where I missed the chance by 3 people in front of me... Major bummer. So then I tried to get tickets for War Horse, but they were sold out too. At this point I was bound and determined to see a show, so I stopped at the first theatre I came to: the Addams Family...

I still can't believe I actually bought a ticket for that show. HOWEVER, I wouldn't have traded the evening for the world. About 15 minutes to curtain, all of the seats around me are completely empty. UNTIL a group of 30 or so high school students file into the seats in front, beside, and around me. Oh my stomach dropped. I just knew it was going to be an evening of texting and chatter, and I don't put up with that during a live show.

Not long after they filed in, I found myself engaged in very slow, meticulous conversation with the boy beside me and the two girls in front of me. I found out they were visiting from Korea, and spoke very little english, but they loved my blonde hair and blue eyes. They asked why I was in the city, and I explained that I am an actor. When they heard that, their faces lit up and the started to chatter amongst themselves. They each reached out to shake my hand and started exclaiming "You famous!" "You take picture with me!"

As much as I tried to explain that I was not famous, and I did not, in fact, know Brooke Sheilds, there was no dampering their spirits.  During intermission I must have taken twenty+ pictures with my "adoring fans" in the lobby, and signed as many, if not more autographs. Some of the other theatre patrons started to inch their way towards the group, thinking that I might be a celebrity they didn't quite recognize.


It was hysterical... At least I thought so... I hope you do too...

Grace be with you,
Lindsey Shea

1 comment:

  1. That blonde hair seems to attract foreign admirers from all sorts of places, haha.

    ReplyDelete