Sunday, June 17, 2012

Living in Harlem...

I like to tell people I'm living in Harlem... You people down south believe me... and you will probably continue to believe after reading this blog. People in the city look at me like I'm crazy, then ask, "No really, where do you live?" When I respond, they quickly correct me pointing out that I live in Hamilton Heights - NOT Harlem.

Technically, Hamilton Heights is in Harlem, BUT it's in south west Harlem, and it's considered to be a much nicer area than the Harlem of the stories you have maybe heard. I can attest to that, actually. I have always felt safe in my neighborhood. I've never been bothered. I do, however, stick out like a sore thumb.

Oh the joys of being a blonde white girl...

I'm the only one in the neighborhood as far as I can tell.

I do get catcalled and whistled at occasionally, but I usually don't understand what is being said about me, so it doesn't really bother me. And as I said, I have never felt unsafe. I keep to myself, and so does everyone else.

Apparently there's no such thing as a quiet, lazy Sunday afternoon in my neighborhood, though. After a crazy week, I had full intention of napping and reading all day. As I left for church this morning, there were already snow-cone stands being set up all up and down the street. As soon as I stepped off the train this afternoon on my way home, music flooded down into the station and the neighborhood culture enveloped the entire block. From my room, I could hear bumping salsa music from the apartment next door. I moved to the living room. From our open window, I could hear spanish pop music blasting from a car parked next to people sitting in the park enjoying the sunshine and grilling dinner. When I was making my spaghetti for dinner, music drifted up to our kitchen from the courtyard of our apartment building. While I couldn't locate the source, I could tell that behind one of those windows, there was a family enjoying dinner and company.

I also had to go to the grocery store today. I could practically hear people singing "one of these things is not like the other..." My bright blonde hair is like a siren wailing through a sea of brunettes everywhere I go... Maybe I'm just self conscious, but I don't think so. If you remember, last summer I mentioned grocery stores could be pretty expensive. I decided that to save money, I would go to our local grocery store, Super Compare. I actually really enjoyed it... I couldn't translate most of the signs and labels on the shelves, but I recognized most brands, and fortunately for me, numeric symbols are the same in both English and Spanish. The cashier and I just kind of smiled at each other and pointed to the screen when I was checking out, but overall, it was a successful trip.

The trip to the post office was another adventure! I missed the delivery of a package from home (shout out to my awesome parents for sending me things I forgot to pack), so the pink slip left at my door told me to go pick it up. I took a little morning jog to the post office before work. I was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't a huge line waiting to be helped, and the workers moved fairly quickly. I was surprised, however, when I noticed the 1.5 inch thick glass that separated the employees from the customers. Trying to talk to a person behind an inch and a half of glass is difficult no matter how the tiny communication opening is configured. They also send the package through a glass cage that can only be open on one side at a time. I'm not sure what they need to be protected from, but whether it's dangerous weaponry or bubonic plague, they aren't playing around with that glass... It's intense.


I can't remember if I've mentioned this or not, but my apartment is fantastic. Our living room overlooks Riverside Park, we're only one block from the 1 train, and I have my own toilet/sink. (My room used to be the maid's quarters when this was a fancy schmancy place). I've always joked about moving to New York and living in a closet, but it's a real thing. I have a walk-in closet in Biloxi that is about the size of my room here. The room is pretty tiny, but it's cozy, and the rent is super affordable. We also have a really nice sized kitchen and a great living room.


I know many of you have been curious, so I hope that this update gives you at least a glimpse of the living aspect of my life. I hope this doesn't sound cynical or unappreciative. I'm a little exhausted this evening, and I'm not sure that what I'm saying makes sense, so if this is deleted by tomorrow afternoon, you who have read it will know why. :)

Well, it's bed time, and I've got a big day tomorrow in show business ;)

Grace be with you,
Lindsey Shea




No comments:

Post a Comment