Friday, November 28, 2014

Black Friday

When my alarm rang at 6am this morning, I grumbled, grunted, and pretty much cursed the world. I hit the snooze button because I refused to put my feet on the floor until the sun at least started to peak through my curtains. As a human being, I don't think it's right to have to be up before the sun. When I did get out of bed, I plodded to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth, and with half-closed eyes I picked out the most comfortable "business professional" outfit I could find. I did pretty well considering that "business professional" attire is generally not created for comfort. I hated everything about it.

If you know me at all, you know I am not a morning person. Anyone who has lived with me knows this firsthand. Any one who has had a 10 minute conversation with me has probably heard me mention it. My college roommates learned quickly that I only speak in grunts until I've showered or had coffee. My sorority sisters learned by trial and error that singing to me before I get out of bed will result in thrown pillows. My brave friend Alicia once continued singing after all of the pillows on my bed had been launched at her head, and ended up getting hit in the shoulder with a journal. That is not one of my shining moments - Sorry Alicia. My mother knows not to call me before at least 10am on a day off (or at least, she should know. Sometimes she forgets). My housemates here in the city laugh at my schedule. And my boyfriend, who is currently living 2 time zones behind me, is rarely up before I am, so that is working well.

My ideal schedule would be to wake up at 10 and begin working around noon. It's a great schedule for an actor. It's not really conducive to anything else I've found. I've learned that generally here in New York I have to suck it up and deal with it, but I really don't function well before 10. There is some sort of switch that flips in my head at 10am that seems to say "ok, I'm here. Let's do this." Until then, I'm basically useless, which is probably why this particular blog entry is so convoluted. It's not even 9 yet! Meh.

Anyway, the point of this post, and the connection to morning hatred and Black Friday, is this:

I got off the subway at the south east corner of Central Park at 7:50 this morning for my temp assignment, grumbling and complaining in my head, and I just froze. I looked out over the park - the quiet pond, that sweet little bridge, the trees (some of which are still clinging to their gorgeous fall leaves), the people bundled up walking with their dogs on the winding paths below - and I thought "wow." I turned around and looked up at the sky scrapers that cut through the crisp morning light, the Plaza Hotel with all of its wonderful "old New York" splendor, and the twinkling Christmas decorations that are now lining 5th Avenue, and I thought "wow." I was reminded in that moment just how much I love this city and how thankful I am to be able to live and work here. I have a job, and as strange and sporadic as my employment might be, it pays the bills and keeps me from having to deal with insane New York shoppers fighting for the best deals on this day of madness that we call Black Friday.

So, if you're reading this, I hope you find a moment today to stop and appreciate where you are, whether curled up with loved ones at home, braving the crowds shopping, or back to the grind of work. Continue the attitude of Thanks-giving today. It certainly changed my perspective.

Wow, that got a little cheesy. I'm blaming it on the fact that it's still well before 10am.

Grace be with you,
Lindsey Shea


No comments:

Post a Comment